Leica Elmarit-M 28mm ASPH lens
Leica Camera AG, Solms is exhibiting the new Leica Elmarit-M 1:2.8/28 mm ASPH. at photokina in Cologne. The Leica Elmarit-M 1:2.8/28 mm ASPH. adds a particularly compact wide-angle lens with high imaging capability to the palette of lenses for the Leica ranging viewfinder system. Thanks to the use of an ASPH.erical lens, the optical performance is once again significantly increased in comparison to preceding models. With a weight of only 180 grams, the Leica Elmarit-M 1:2.8/28 mm ASPH. is the lightest of all the Leica M lenses. The new wide-angle lens can be used both on Leica M analog camera models and also on the new digital Leica M8.
Leica Elmarit M - Optical performance
When used on the Leica M8, the focal length extension factor of 1.33 moves the equivalent focal length by about a focal length step. The effect on the picture is like working with a 35 mm lens. The Leica Elmarit-M 1:2.8/28mm ASPH. comprises eight lenses in six groups. Even at full aperture it delivers outstanding optical performance and high contrast reproduction of even the most finely detailed structures. Stopping down the aperture contributes a minor further improvement in performance. The far-reaching freedom to take pictures conferred by a close-up range of only 0.7 metres is also noteworthy. The use of the best coating technology also assures a high degree of freedom from reflections and colour neutrality.
Leica Elmarit-M ASPH 1:2.8/28mm ASPH - Leica M8
“The new Leica Elmarit M 1:2.8/28mm ASPH. in combination with the Leica M8 is an ideal universal lens for reportage photography. It performs well even when used in spontaneous moments and produces lively and dynamic pictures as events happen” says Rainer Bültert, Product Manager for the M system at Leica Camera AG.
Leica Elmarit-M 1:2.8/28 mm ASPH. - Compact lens
Thanks to its small dimensions, when the Leica Elmarit-M 1:2.8/28 mm ASPH. is in the operating position it is the most compact lens in the entire Leica M system. With a filter diameter of 39 mm it is exceptionally small for a 28 mm wide-angle lens and permits therefore a high degree of compactness in the camera-lens combination. Due to its design, the Leica Elmarit-M 1:2.8/28mm ASPH. projects only minimally into the camera’s viewfinder field. The Leica Elmarit-M 1:2.8/28mm ASPH. is available from October 2006 from Leica specialist dealers.
Elmarit-M 1:2.8/28mm ASPH - Specifications
• KB-equivalent focal length when used with the Leica M8 37mm
• Angle of view : 75°, 65°, 46° (24x 36mm KB)
• (diagonal, horizontal, vertical) 60°, 51°, 36° (18x 27mm - Leica M8)
• Number of lenses / groups : 8 / 6
• ASPH.erical surfaces : 1
Leica Elmarit-M ASPH - Range settings
• Working range : 0.7 m to ∞
• Scales : Combined metre / feet graduations
• Smallest subject field : 533 x 800 mm (24x36mm - KB)
• Smallest subject field : 400 x 600mm (18x 27mm - Leica M8)
• Largest scale : approx. 1: 22
Leica Elmarit-M Lens - Aperture
• Setting / method of operation : Stepped apertures, including half stop values
• Smallest value : 22
• Bayonet : Leica M quick-change bayonet with 6-bit barcode lens recognition for digital Leica M cameras
• Filter mounting : Internal thread for E39 screw-on filter, with straightness guide
• Lens hood : Clip-on (supplied)
• Viewfinder : Camera viewfinder
• Surface finish : Black anodised
Leica ASPH Lens - Dimensions & weight
• Length to bayonet seating : approx. 30/46mm (without/with lens hood)
• Largest diameter : approx. 52mm
• Weight : approx. 180g